So often people get so caught up in being busy that they forget about the most important person in their lives – themselves!
When I tried to Google the definition of “busy” for this short article using the voice-to-text feature on my laptop what came back was the definition for disease. I found this to be extremely fitting and eye-opening:
“A disease is a particular abnormal condition, a disorder of a structure or function, that affects part or all of an organism. The study of disease is called pathology which includes the causal study of etiology. Disease is often construed as a medical condition associated with specific symptoms and signs.” – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease
Stress is a chronic epidemic worn like a badge of honor by some, as if somehow being stressed out means you’re more productive? Important? Valuable?
Our hard-wired stress response is designed to give us the quick burst of heightened alertness and energy needed to perform our best. But stress isn’t all good. When activated too long or too often, stress can damage virtually every part of our body.
The reality is that stress, when chronic, can lead to many health problems, such as high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes. Some other effects of chronic stress are:
– systemic inflammation
– muscle tension or pain
– digestive and sleep problems
– anxiety, depression and other mood disturbances
– lack of motivation or focus
– overeating or undereating
– inability to control emotions, angry outbursts
– drug, alcohol or tobacco use
– social withdrawal
Some great ways to manage your stress and practice good self-care:
– regular physical activity
– relaxation techniques, meditation, yoga or getting regular massages
– keeping your sense of humor
– practicing gratitude
– getting enough good quality sleep
– making time for hobbies, including reading books or listening to music
Self-care is not a luxury. Self-care is a vital part of living a healthy life for yourself and those that rely on you. You can’t pour from an empty vessel. Re-fill your cup today!